April 20, 2011

Cooking with Powdered Milk

If you have powdered milk in your possession, and you are not using it, you should be.  Just a quick cost comparison:
  • gallon of milk at the store:  $2.28
  • cost of powdered milk from Home Storage Center reconstituted into one gallon of milk (current price-I bought mine when it was cheaper than this):  $2 
  • Morning Moo's milk I bought in January reconstituted into one gallon of milk:  $.87
I use powdered milk for making yogurt, in all of my baking, in my homemade cream of chicken soup mix, buttermilk, and in white sauces.  I estimate I average about 1 1/2 gallons of reconstituted powdered milk each week, saving about $1.60 each week.  While this may not sound like a lot, if the price of milk stayed constant through a whole year, I would save over $80 during the year.  If I were to calculate in how much I save by making yogurt with powdered milk versus buying yogurt, my savings would be a lot higher.  (But that's really a completely different topic.  I just brought it up since it's a dairy product.)

No comments:

Post a Comment