I haven't shampooed my hair since December 31, 2011. Over 5 months ago. I have gone "no 'poo." I wash my hair with baking soda and condition it with apple cider vinegar typically about every 4-5 days. I've let it go a full week before, but at that point it's nasty. As long as I wash it before that, though, it doesn't look greasy at all, and I like the way that it feels.
Here's my method for my long hair (I used a different one at first, but I like this one much better):
- Brush hair.
- Wet hair thoroughly.
- Put about a tablespoon of baking soda in palm of hand and use other hand to massage the baking soda all over scalp.
- Rinse hair thoroughly.
- Fill cup with about 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 3/4 cup of water. I never measure this.
- Dip hair into cup. Let rest in vinegar mixture for about 30 seconds.
- Take hair out of cup, and pour remaining vinegar mixture over top of head.
- Rinse hair thoroughly, massaging scalp of head to get all of the baking soda out.
- Brush hair well, beginning at scalp at least one to two times each day.