April 14, 2011

Cereal at Smith's

I'm so excited about my shopping trip at Smith's, that I have to write about it.  I just bought 20 boxes of cereal, 4 bags of chocolate chips, 2 small jars of spices, 2 gallons of milk, and grapes.  I paid $38.53, plus brought home a gift card for $5.  Essentially $33.53.
How did this work?
Buy 4 General Mills items, get a $5 gift card.  I chose to buy each set of 4 cereals as separate transactions, so that I could use the $5 gift card on the next transaction.  Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Nut Chex, Wheat Chex, 2 types of Total, several types of granola bars, and a few other types of cereal are on sale for 4/$10.  Buy 4, get $5 gift card, essentially it's $1.25/box.  Great deal on 14 and 15 oz. cereals.  Add a coupon to that, and the the box of cereal costs between 70 and 92 cents per box.  Yeah!  So I bought 20 boxes!  You can find coupons here and here.  You can usually print twice.  If you use Swagbucks, you can also get coupons through your account, and you get 10 swagbucks per coupon used!  Yet another reason to sign up!  If you get the newspaper, there are a lot more coupons on these items there.
I bought 4 bags of chocolate chips, because if you buy 4, you get a catalina for $3 off your next purchase (I used it today).  The chips were on sale for $2.  Thus I essentially paid $1.25/bag.  If I had coupons for this I could have paid less.  Not a horrible price.  I prefer to get them for $1/bag, but when's the last time I've seen that price? 
The spices were in the discount cart at the back of the store.  Milk I needed.  Grapes were 99 cents/pound.  I like grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment