1 15-oz. can salmon
1 4-oz. can diced green chilies
1/4 cup chopped onion (I used yellow, but green or sweet would be great)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2-1 cup black beans (depending on how much you like beans)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (monterey jack and cheddar are good)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
cream cheese, softened, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook onion in a fry pan covered with cooking spray over medium heat, until soft.
- Mix first eight ingredients in a large bowl, reserving ½ cup shredded cheese.
- Cover bottom of 9 x 13 baking dish with salmon mixture. Place tortillas on top. Repeat layers until all of salmon mixture is used, preferably ending with tortillas on top (although this doesn't matter too much).
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Spread the cream cheese on top, followed by the salsa, and then reserved shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until cheese is browned, and salsa is warm.