July 21, 2010

Emergency Preparedness Class

I have now attended 2 out of 3 parts of an emergency preparedness class put on by USU Extensions. I have learned a lot! I will quickly outline below what I learned. Then as I do each of these items myself, I will write a more detailed post.

  1. 120 hour kits. Yes, no more 72 hour kits. That is just not long enough. I have always thought of these as kind of a 1-size-fits-all deal. No! Make it individual to you and your family's needs.
  2. Car kit. I have never had one. I will soon be creating one.
  3. Family emergency plan. Have multiple meeting places, and local and out-of-state contacts.
  4. Electrical, water, and gas shut offs. This is a top priority for me to learn.
  5. Shelter in Place guidelines. In case there is some sort of chemical or nuclear threat, you may need to stay inside, and do everything you can to keep air from entering the room you are in.
  6. Evacuation plan. Where will you go? How will you get there? What will you bring with you?
  7. Emergency cash stash. Have lots of $1 bills and quarters on hand.
  8. Financial information binder. You want to have all of your financial information all together in multiple safe locations.

No comments:

Post a Comment