May 7, 2011

Things My Mother Taught Me

As a mother, I am beginning to appreciate my mother more and more.  Perhaps one of her qualities that I would like to most emulate is her patience.  I hope and pray that I can develop that trait.
She also taught me many skills; this is what I would like to focus on today, for purposes of this blog post: a few of the household skills my mother taught me, and continues to teach me.

My Mother Taught Me:
  • to look for sales
  • to buy things for as little as possible
  • vegetables are good for the body
  • stock up when things I typically buy are good prices
  • freezers are amazing
  • canning can be fun
  • 6 hours of pitting and freezing cherries will make you "cheery as a cherry"
  • spending 6 hours in the kitchen with someone develops memories
  • practicing fire drills makes a good family home evening activity
  • how to cook
  • how to involve kids in the kitchen
  • people of all ages can cook
  • messes in the kitchen are okay (I am a slow learner on the cleaning up messes part-I'm sure she tried)
  • "Mess maker, mess maker, make me a mess; spill me a spill, slop me a slop."
  • singing in the kitchen develops memories
  • place value on food storage
  • experiment
  • keep learning new things
  • oil goes rancid if stored for too long
Thanks Mom, I love you!  Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Aww I love her too! Ha ha mess maker mess maker make me a mess! Slime me a slime! Slop me a slop! Thanks for reminding me of that :)

    ReplyDelete