March 9, 2011

Mexican Pizza

I really like lentils.  They are not a bean, but they are in the legume family, along with beans, so I just call them beans.  They only take about 25 minutes to cook, and do not need to be soaked first.  Most every recipe that I've tried them in, though, has been just okay.  Not terrific, but edible.  I've tried lentil loafs, soups, and chili.  This recipe, though, is a family favorite.  I always dream of making it healthier by using homemade corn tortillas in place of chips, but that just hasn't happened yet.
I don't really measure the ingredients.  I just throw it together.  The measurements below are estimates.  Just do what looks good.



Mexican Pizza

3 cups cooked lentils
1 can Spaghetti sauce OR tomato sauce seasoned to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder or beef flavored bouillon
1/2 pound Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 bag tortilla chips

Lay tortilla chips on cookie sheet. Can crush for easier eating. Spoon lentils over chips, followed by
spaghetti sauce. Or crush lentils and mix with sauce. Sprinkle cheese over top. Broil until cheese is
melted, about 3 minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream. You may also use olives, green onions, or peppers on top of the cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment