October 18, 2010

Powdered Eggs Experiment 1

I bought powdered eggs a few weeks ago for the first time, so my experiments are beginning. My first experiment was with cookies.
For this experiment I made 3 batches of cookies. The first was my control group, and was made with a regular egg. The second batch was made with 1 1/2 Tablespoons egg powder and 3Tablespoons of water, as I learned from Everyday Food Storage. The third batch was made according to the container's directions, with 2 1/2 Tablespoons of both egg powder and water.

Here were my observations of the dough:
  • The two batches made with powdered eggs were dry. The third batch (made according to the egg powder package directions) did not hold together completely.
  • The two batches with egg powder tasted the same. Yes, egg powder is pasteurized, so it is safe to eat cookie dough!

Observations of the cookies:
  • I thought all 3 batches tasted the same.
  • Several people noticed that batches 2 and 3 had a slight different flavor than the first batch, but thought they were all good.
  • Several people thought that batches 1 and 3 tasted just the same except 3 was a little more salty.
  • One person thought the third batch was a little more moist, and one person thought it was a little dry.

My final thoughts:
  • Why follow the package directions and use 2 1/2 tablespoons of egg powder when 1 1/2 tablespoons will do the trick?
  • I will try using a little more water next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment