September 6, 2010

Freezer Failure

The past week has been very busy. I have frozen eggs, had horrible experiences at grocery stores with coupons (I'm sure I'll post more about that in the future), cooked and frozen chicken, canned salsa (which I hope to never do again without help), etc.
Then I discovered that the door to my freezer was open, and I had thawed berry juice dripping on everything. What a mess! But that wasn't the bad part. Nearly everything in the freezer had defrosted! The chicken in boxes stayed frozen because it's very compact. A lot of things at the bottom of piles stayed frozen as well. I did cook up all of my defrosted meat (that took a couple hours). I figure all the fruit, vegetables, and cheese are still okay. Maybe not as good of quality, though. I threw out the ice cream and bread.
While cooking the meat, I realized that I was very grateful that I could cook the meat using electricity. If the reason for my mess was a prolonged power outage, I would have had to think of a different way to cook the meat. I think the dutch oven would have been my best bet.
In a way this freezer accident was harder than a power outage, however, because the food was already defrosted when I discovered the problem. If the power was off, I would know that, and could have worked to make all of the food compact together. Cooler boxes are great for this!
That's my big thought this week. What is your way to cook and keep food frozen if you don't have electricity?

2 comments:

  1. Bummer. Do you have a pressure cooker? I just bought one a few weeks agoa and on my list of things to do today is to bottle some extra ground beef I have in order to get it out of my freezer. (I have to admit, I'm a bit afraid...I've never used a pressure cooker before).

    One reason why I don't have an electric stove is so I can still use my stove top if the electricity goes out...at least until our propane tank gives out.

    Sorry about your freezer. At least you noticed while you could still save a lot of your food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your pressure canning! That's something I'd like to do someday. Not there yet.
    I am very grateful I noticed the freezer when I did. Saved myself a lot of time and money.

    ReplyDelete